CASE STUDY DATABASEAdd Story | Search Case Studies
El Primero Boutique B&B Hotel
Year Submitted: 2014
Process: Energy Reduction
Industry: Service, Transportation
Location: Cula Vista CA
Contact: Pie Roque
The owners of El Primero have installed 18 solar panels generating clean electrical power an average of 21 kWh/day. On
location electricity generation is coupled with investments in energy star appliances, motion sensor lighting switches, energy efficient lighting fixtures, and new bulbs (CFL and LED). They are also planning to install wind turbines and a solar hot water heater and tank.
By converting to renewable energy sources, El Primero has reduced their carbon footprint. They have reduced the amount of energy needed to run their hotel by investing in energy-efficient appliances and lightbulbs. They also encourage guests to conserve, via programs such as a linen reuse program, where guests are given clean bed sheets and towels at the beginning of their stay and they are switched out every few days, rather than every day. This reduces wastewater and chemical usage.
El Primero also has a recycling and composting program, designed to reduce garbage by 70%.
Details of Reductions
- 21.0 - kWhr of
Green Energy (produced)
- 13.5 - ton of
Air emissions reductions
- Installed 18 solar panels that generate clean electrical power an average of 21 kWh during the day
- Reduce outgoing waste by 70% through recycling and composting
- Upgraded to Energy Star appliances, installed motion sensing light switches, upgraded to CFL and LED lights to reduce energy consumption
- Replaced 24 toilets to the 1.6 gpf and installed low flow shower heads
- Uses environmentally sensitive cleaning products and amenities as well as recycled office supplies
- Donates clean towels and linens to shelters when applicable
Estimated Cost Savings: 50-55% total cost
Estimated Greenhouse Gas Emission Reductions: 13.5 tons CO2 based on energy demand reduction (not including 70% in solid waste reduction)