Solvents used in the cleanup process sometimes contained hexane and/or glycol ethers and were sometimes hazardous. We decided to reduce their use.
We used a distillation column on-site to recover solvent.
Eliminated TRI reportable chemicals and reduced hazardous waste generation by about 50 tons.
Details of Reductions
Additional Information :
Total savings were over $30,000
This came from reduced solvent usage costs of $26,237(see below) and disposal costs reductions of about $4,000.
Solvent Use reduction was estimated to take into account a 43% increase in production.
Solvent use went from 161,000 pds. to 178,000 pds. This increase would have been much greater if we hadn't installed the coulumn.
We used an an Activity Production Index of 1.43.
Our solvent source reduction was therefore.
(161,000 pounds X1.43) - 178,000 pounds = 53,000 pounds.
At 50 cents per pound our savings were abpit $26,000
Disposal costs were based on a per gallon cost.